Monday, May 28, 2012

Get up and move Mondays

Well it's time to get up and move!!

I haven't stopped moving today, and feel awesome!

Woke up, and threw together some crockpot soup for dinner, cleaned the house top to bottom, and tended to the yard

So I was thinking on days like this, when cleaning is a top priority, how do you make it fun for the kids?

Doing chores does burn calories, which is good, and keeps your surroundings healthy..which, is also good.

When I was growing up either my dad did the housekeeping or my brothers and I did, and I am all for chores for kids, but it sends a horrible message to your kids. That they are slaves, which...they're not.

So, back to the point....cleaning can be fun, teaches children responsibility, and is good for you!

First, turn on some music! Dance, sing, and be foolish! Kids love music, and dancing with a broom in your hand makes them want to do it too!

Next, don't bark out orders. My son is 6 and totally able to pick up his toys, and does, but when you get in there and help, they're more likely to see that teamwork pays off.

Turn it into a game. Whoever picks the toys up the fastest gets to pick ____________, or gets to decide ____________.

Last, REWARD you're kids for the good things they do! Be it praise, or the good old fashion star chart. Children thrive on praise alone, but star charts can be a reminder of their good deeds, which make them want to help more!

After a long day of cleaning and burning calories cleaning, relax on the couch and read your kids their favorite book as an additional reward.

Cleaning the house not enough to keep you and the kids busy?

Try a scavenger hunt!

Before the kids get up(or after they go to bed), find objects to hide, make a list or draw pictures of the items. Hide the items around the house or outside. Draw a hint list.

Leave the list with their breakfast. Then the hunt is on!!! I like to hide a prize at the hunt, or this is a fun idea for finding a birthday present on a birthday.

Still not enough?!?

Make a mini carnival

*Potato sack/pillow case races
*Bean bag toss(cardboard with holes cut out, and mini Ziploc bags filling with beans, rice, sand, etc)
*Hamper roller coaster/Hamper pull. My kids love this! I tie a rope to a hamper or cardboard box and pull them around. Simple yet, really fun!!! Just don't go to fast :)

Well I'm off to relax for the night! Hope you come tomorrow for my Honey and Brown Sugar Chicken, and its time to start embracing that crockpot collecting dust :)

Again thank a Vet today! "Freedom isn't free"

No comments:

Post a Comment