Thursday, May 24, 2012

Diets, and exercise...OH MY!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The United States has a ever growing obesity epidemic. The diet industry has boomed with people trying to find ANYTHING that works, even if its temporary.

Anyone who is overweight has tried a diet of some form, but with these yo-yo diets and huge weight fluctuations, are you doing more harm to your body than being obese or overweight?

This kind of dieting is associated with extreme food deprivation as a substitute for good diet and exercise techniques. As a result, the dieter may experience loss of both muscle and body fat during the initial weight-loss phase (weight-bearing exercise is required to maintain muscle). After completing the diet, the dieter is likely to experience the body's starvation response, leading to rapid weight gain of only fat. This is a cycle that changes the body's fat-to-muscle ratio, one of the more important factors in health. One study in rats showed those made to yo-yo diet were more efficient at gaining weight.
Source:Wikipedia

I've had positive experience with several diets, but what these diets don't teach you is how to eat correctly, and most bothersome is some DISCOURAGE exercise!

A good example of this is the HCG diet. HCG is a hormone created by women during a pregnancy. In combination with HGC drop or injections and massively reduced calorie intake, you can achieve 2 pounds a day weight loss. The diet does not allow exercise, frankly because you'll end up exercising off any calories you've consumed, which can have life threatening consequences...
Dizziness
Mental Confusion or "feeling slow"
Lethargy (tired)
Depression
Food obsession
Muscle loss
Kidney failure

My best friend Jessica lost an substantial amount using the HCG diet, and has maintained her weight with healthy and nutritious foods. Although several others have had success after a fad diet...it is not the norm.

There are so many healthy options, and so many exercise routines to choose from. How do you decide what works best for you?

Try new things!!!

I'll be the first to admit I am obese because I eat to much and move to little. I've always wanted to be a professional chef, and I let that dream fad a little because I figured the only reason I wanted to do it was to give myself an excuse to eat.

However on weeks that I exclusively cook at home, I weigh an average of 3 pounds less, than weeks I consume processed foods or fast food, even if only consumed once.

So for me one way to not gain is cook 100% at home.

Next....exercise!
Exercise is good for you....body AND mind.
I am notorious for having tons of motivation to exercise, but then I over do it, become sore, and by the time I'm not in pain, I've lost all motivation....sound familiar? I've heard so many stories very similar.

One thing that took me a long time to grasp was I don't have to run, hike, or feel like my heart is about to explode to exercise and be active. Although planting a garden, or taking a light walk around the block don't burn as many calories as running 5 miles, it does burn a lot more than sitting on the couch.
Here are a few activities I find easy to complete, without feeling like I was hit by a car :)

Swimming. Swimming for an hour can burn a lot of calories. Check here for an idea. http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburnedswimming.htm

Walking. This is challenging for some, but even a little is an accomplishment.

Zumba. Believe me I know it sounds totally intimidating, but aside from swimming its the ONLY form of exercise I find fun. I sweat, but don't get sore, and I am literally smiling the whole time. It really is a exercise that increases your self confidence from the first time. If you're local in Grants Pass, search "Zumba with Ivorie". If you are unable to do zumba try searching "chair zumba" on YouTube.

Whatever you think works best, just make sure to go slow. Check this site to get an idea of calories you can burn. http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

No comments:

Post a Comment